Saturday, November 28, 2009

Too Much Turkey???

There was ONE reason that I bought a turkey larger than what I would normally buy.  LEFTOVERS!  We definately miss out on turkey sandwiches, and midnight snacks, when we don't have leftovers in the fridge!

Well...now that we're 2 days into turkey sandwiches, the appeal is starting to wear down.  Quickly!  One of the things I've felt convicted about in my journey to live more frugally, is the fact that throwing away food is just wasteful.  There are soo many creative ways to use up things.  I have made delicious banana bread from our very brown bananas.  (we actually have started to leave a few from the bunch to the side just so we can enjoy the bread!)

This morning, the leftover-leftover turkey was shredded.  We ate Thanksgiving dinner at 1pm, leftovers for dinner at 6:30 that night, and sandwiches again on Friday.  Now that my family is screaming, "NO more turkey" I was able to shred up the rest, and get 6 cups!  That is alot of leftover meat.  Enough for a couple dinners for the freezer for sure. 

I'll be making a couple recipes that I found hereOnce a month mom does a great job laying out a plan if you like to cook hard one day, to fill up your freezer for a month of meals.  I haven't jumped on that bandwagon full force yet, but I do like to get a couple dinners prepared and stashed in the freezer for those nights I just can't pull dinner together.

I'll be trying out the Cheesy Broccoli and Rice with Turkey and Turkey and Stuffing Casserole.  Both will get made tonight, and stored in the freezer for some yummy dinners in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Saving by the Cartful is intended to be a positive upbeat place; I'd appreciate if your comments are that way too!